DATCP and UW Division of Extension Collaborate to offer Farm Couples Weekends
There is no cost, however space is limited and registration is required. See below for details!
Many Wisconsin farm families have faced challenging times in recent years due to factors such as low dairy and commodity prices and sustained periods of unfavorable weather. If you are a farm couple interested in learning about stress management techniques, improving farm family communications, and decision-making and goal-setting exercises, then consider attending a Farm Couples Weekend planned at six locations throughout Wisconsin this winter. This weekend experience will help farm couples:
- Deal more effectively with stress
- Learn about personality differences
- Communicate more effectively with your partner and children
- Make plans for the future
- Learn about helpful resources from the Wisconsin Department Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection’s (DATCP) Farm Center, UW Madison Division of Extension, and in your community.
Roger Williams, Farm Family Communication Consultant and Farm Center Volunteer Mediator, will facilitate the Weekends. UW Madison Division of Extension educators and Farm Center staff will join Williams as facilitators.
There is no cost to attend. Refreshments, meals, lodging, instruction and materials will be provided. Financial assistance for childcare, farm labor or mileage may be available upon request. For more information about financial assistance, contact the Farm Center at 800-942-2474 after you have registered.
Pre-registration and a $50/couple deposit is required. This deposit will be refunded on the second day of the Weekend. Reserve your spot by purchasing a “ticket” at http://bit.ly/FarmCouple2020 If you prefer to pay by check, you will need to register at the link and send your $50 check payable to UW CDP to: UW Center for Dairy Profitability, c/o Jenny Vanderlin, 203 Taylor Hall, 427 Lorch St., Madison, WI 53706. Registration deadline is one week prior to each Weekend.
Each Weekend will be open to the first 10 couples who register and provide the refundable deposit.
The Weekend begins on Saturday at 9:30 a.m. with on-site check-in and morning refreshments, and ends Sunday afternoon at 3:00 pm.
- January 18/19, 2020 – Mineral Point
- February 15/16, 2020 – Rothschild
- February 29/March 1, 2020 – Appleton
- March 7/8, 2020 – Waupun
- March 21/22, 2020 – Eau Claire
- April 4/5, 2020 – Rice Lake