No items to display at this time.
Food safety and preservation is a major focus of the UW-Extension Family Living program. Promoting healthy, well-nourished families as they learn to manage food dollars, plan nutritious meals, and purchase, prepare, and serve food that is safe to eat. Topics include:
Check out our Website Links – Food Safety section for more food safety resources.
Keep Your Perishable Food Gifts Safe When Shipping!
When ordering perishable food gifts through the mail, transit time and a cold source are key! Be sure to specify overnight delivery and request that the company supply a frozen gel pack or dry ice in the packaging. This will help guarantee that the food will arrive refrigerator cold.
When Mailing a Perishable Food Gift……
- Make sure the food is frozen solid or refrigerator cold
- Use an insulated cooler or a heavy box packed with a frozen gel pack
- Properly label the package “Perishable: Keep Refrigerated” on the outside
- Ship your package by overnight delivery
- Alert the recipient and agree on a delivery date
Click here for more tips on mail order food safety from the Partnership for Food Safety Education!
If you have any questions regarding Family Living in Shawano County, please contact:
Shawano County Healthy Families & Communities Coordinator
311 N Main Street, Room 109
Shawano, WI 54166
Phone: 715-526-4863 Main Line 715-526-6136